Page 5 of 6
Advantages of Group Music Lessons
There are many advantages of group music lessons, including the valuable learning atmosphere that it provides. Music educators have found that group instruction aids in developing both performance and musicianship skills.
- Provides confidence in playing for others.
- Aids students in developing rhythmic security.
- Develops concentration by maintaining one's own part while hearing others play.
- Allows students to broaden their musical experience.
- Exposes students to a variety of music.
- Provides a friendly and encouraging atmosphere.
- Allows the teacher to present music fundamentals in a shorter time than if she were making the presentation to individual students.
- Fosters an atmosphere that is conducive to the effective teaching of a variety of skills such as listening , pitch matching, singing, rhythm, movement, and music appreciation.
- Facilitates the performance of ensembles.
- Establishes a sense of group spirit and group dynamics that increase motivation.
- Fosters the development of communication skills.
- Allows students to learn from peers as well as from the teacher.
- Provides a setting where drills and exercises can be more interesting and motivating.
- Increases attention span, allowing the lesson time to be longer than private lessons.